There are many ways to layer clothing; some of them are great ways of making your outfit different and personal and some of them can make you look messy and bulky.
The color and fabric are some of the main points to consider when layering clothing. Avoid using too many layers – 3 things on top is enough. You risk looking bulky if you overdo it.
When it comes to the colors, neutral colors are very good for layering as they have low saturation and are therefore not bright and intense, which gives you a harmonious layering look, while pure, brilliant colors will become central making the softer colors fade.
Layering rules and ideas
- Layer a cardigan over a fitted top: If you’re going for a polished and professional look layer a cardigan over a fitted top. I’m not a fan of matching cardigan and shell look – it’s very dated and can be a bit boring. I’d rather drop the ‘matching’ and go for two different colors.
- Mix different fabrics: For a personal and stylish look mix different fabrics – put a sequined cardigan or shrug over a T-shirt, a short military inspired blazer over a simple top or a waistcoat/vest over a white shirt.
- Over the knee socks: Layering is not only for the upper part of your body. Layer the bottom half with tights and leggings worn under a skirt with knee-high boots and over the knee socks peeping out of the boots for a warm, fashionable look.
- Long sleeve shirt under a short leather jacket: Wearing tight sitting, long sleeved shirts under T-shirt is not the way to go, if you’re no longer a teenager. But wearing a tight regular long sleeve shirt under a short leather jacket with 3/4 sleeves and a scarf is going to make you look very stylish and chic.
- Scarves are an essential item when wanting to achieve the layered look! Here’s how to wear a scarf.
Here are three looks showing how you can style a dress, jeans and a skirt.
Layering with a dress
The classic grey shift dress and a classic cardigan look great and modern when paired up with sequined silver flats and a white scarf along with some cool rouch leggings and a wide studded belt. Mixing classical items with modern items always creates stylish outfits!
Layering with pants
I love using waistcoats when I want to layer the clothes. It is a great look for many different occasions and leaves you with many different choices. Choose a waistcoat with sequins or some other details to avoid looking old fashioned. Tuck the jeans into the boots for a feminine and fashionable look. Wearing a long necklace under a scarf is a nice detail.
Layering with a skirt
Using the neutral colours, layering becomes personal and feminine and using different shapes and lengths makes it layery and not bulky. As a personal touch wear over the knee socks inside your boots and let them show just a little.
Do you like to layer your outfits?
What do you think of these outfits? Which one would you wear? P.S. Join us on Facebook for lots of great fashion and style discussions and tips by clicking on the link below!